Sunday, October 29, 2006

Fate

Do you believe in it? Well, sometimes, I do.

We were never meant to meet up today. I had a foreboding even as I looked forward and got ready for the appointment. I even left the house an hour earlier. Now how long does it take to get to Bugis? 40 mins? I thought I had ample time and will even be early, for once. A forgotten detail delayed the journey.

I came from Havelock road, saw road blocks and remembered that Nicoll highway was closed for the women's Great Eastern marathon today. I turned into the road to the right and realised that I am at a loss for directions. I do not know how to reach Bugis other than by Nicoll highway. Actually, Cityhall is another option, but the problem is, how to get there? I am that bad and anxiety did not improve the situation. I pulled over, studied the street directory for over 10 mins and gave up. For some reason, I just cannot read maps today. I decided to let nature takes it's course and took a turn out into the main road. A sign in front informed that Fullerton road is closed, NOT Nicoll highway! Happily I turned back into the highway and reached Parco Bugis Junction in no time.

I was already half an hour late, as I walked towards the restaurant where lunch was to take place. I already suspected he may not be waiting there for me anymore. True enough, the lady at the restaurant told me that he had left...2 mins ago. So you can imagine what went through my mind. 2 mins? If I had not taken a wrong turn to the right and spent senseless time poring over the street directory, I may have made it to meet up with him.

If I can't blame fate, who or what can I blame? It was never meant to be.

Something similar happened in the last round, too. I was about to step out of the house when my mobile rang and the caller at the other end told me that there was a change in plans. He did not put down the appointment in his planner and had forgotten all about the appointment until he was reminded. Now, there is definitely no way to construe that it's my fault.

If this is still not fate, I don't know what it is!

No comments: